Family of Jonathan Succar Demands Investigation of Possible Taxi Pursuit Before Cancún Crash

Boulevard Kukulcán in Cancún's Hotel Zone, where Jonathan Succar and another man died in a crash on August 14.

Cancún, Quintana Roo — The family of Jonathan Succar, who died in an August 14 crash on Boulevard Kukulcán, has asked the State Prosecutor’s Office to determine whether a taxi driver contributed to the fatal accident by allegedly trying to cut off the victims’ vehicle and then pursuing them.

In a statement, Jerry Succar, Jonathan’s brother, said he reviewed surveillance footage from the boulevard that appears to show a taxi attempting to block the Cadillac Escalade carrying the victims, following it, and then arriving at the crash site. He urged investigators to examine the complete video recordings, as well as the taxi’s GPS and dispatch records.

Jonathan Succar and his companion, identified only as Daniel, died when their Escalade crashed at kilometer 18.5 of Cancún’s Hotel Zone. Two people have since been arrested on suspicion of stealing belongings from the victims after the crash.

Jerry Succar said a witness who was on the phone with the victims at the time heard Jonathan ask, “Are they trying to cut us off?” He said the communication ended immediately, and that the victims appeared tense.

“Those of us who really knew Jonathan and Daniel know something important: they did not run from an ordinary confrontation,” Jerry Succar said. “They always faced things head-on. If they had thought it was just a traffic dispute, they would have reacted very differently.”

According to the statement, after the crash the person who had been following them got out of the vehicle and stole watches, chains, wallets and other items. Part of the jewelry has been recovered.

Jerry Succar also pointed to other issues he said require investigation, including the taxi’s apparent link to a company providing transportation at Cancún International Airport, attempted credit card transactions at the airport after the robbery, and the disappearance and reappearance of Daniel’s phone under circumstances he said do not match the device’s location records.

Family’s Demands

The family is asking prosecutors to:

  • Review all uninterrupted security camera footage from Boulevard Kukulcán from the start of the victims’ route to the crash site.
  • Determine whether the alleged attempt to cut off the victims and the subsequent pursuit contributed to the accident.
  • Examine the taxi’s GPS, dispatch records and services performed that day.
  • Review security camera footage from Cancún International Airport and investigate attempts to use the victims’ credit cards.
  • Investigate the existence and whereabouts of cash that witnesses said was inside the vehicle.
  • Conduct a full forensic analysis of Daniel’s phone, including location records and documentation of who had it from the time it disappeared until it was recovered.

“I am not asking social media to condemn anyone,” Jerry Succar said. “I am demanding that the prosecutor’s office not close this case simply as a robbery without investigating conduct that may have caused two deaths.”

He added: “If it was just an accident, the complete video will show it. If it wasn’t, it will show that too. I will not stop until I know the full truth. The truth is not afraid of the full video.”

Discover more from Riviera Maya News

Sign up to receive a summary of the best news in your inbox, every day.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

By Javier Mendez

Javier Mendez covers public safety, law enforcement, and legal affairs in Quintana Roo. He monitors official reports from the FGE (State Prosecutor's Office), the Mexican Navy, and municipal police to deliver accurate English summaries of crime, trafficking cases, arrests, and court rulings affecting the Riviera Maya region.Javier has been covering crime and public safety news since 2023, reporting on cases ranging from felony arrests and human trafficking investigations to court proceedings and organized crime-related incidents across Cancún, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and Chetumal. His reporting provides English-speaking residents and travelers with reliable, timely information about safety conditions in Quintana Roo's major tourist destinations.Javier works closely with official government sources and press offices to verify facts before publication, and maintains an archive of law enforcement communications to provide context for ongoing stories. He is dedicated to accurate, factual reporting on complex safety issues that affect both residents and visitors to the region.For story tips: javier@rivieramayanews.mx