Cancun, Quintana Roo — One man died and another was hospitalized in critical condition after being attacked by a group of assailants with knives early Friday in the Prado Norte neighborhood. Authorities have not determined whether the attack stemmed from a fight or a robbery.
The victims were attacked at the intersection of Flor de Mayo and Mahahual streets in Cancun’s Region 260 around 2 a.m. Neighbors reported hearing shouts from what appeared to be a brawl and called 911. When police arrived, they found two men lying on the ground.
Paramedics confirmed that one of the victims had already died. The other was still alive and was rushed to Cancun General Hospital. The survivor told authorities that three men armed with knives carried out the attack.
Residents of the area believe the assailants may be gang members who had previously assaulted someone days earlier for looking at them “the wrong way,” according to local accounts.
More Crime
- Driver Escapes Serious Injury After SUV Crashes Near Puerto Aventuras
- Extortion in Mexico Hits Highest Level in 11 Years, Coparmex Says
- Drug Dealing Crimes Rise 30% in Quintana Roo
- Two Women Arrested and Drugs Seized in Raids Across Bacalar and Cancun
- Police Arrest Three Suspects in Fatal Cancun Cocktail Bar Attack
More Cancun
- Infratur Fee Schedule Opens Path for Mobile Vendors in Cancún’s Hotel Zone
- Kukulcán Overpass in Cancún Reaches 42 Percent Completion
- Canirac Seeks Extra Hour for Cancún Restaurants; Municipality Refuses
- New Poetry Book ‘El rostro que habitamos’ Maps the Many Faces of Cancún
- Cancún Launches Comprehensive Coastal Restoration Program Along 32 Kilometers of Coastline

