Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo — Residents from several neighborhoods in Playa del Carmen protested Tuesday at the offices of the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) on Arco Vial, demanding a solution to recurring blackouts that have intensified in recent weeks, causing property damage, economic losses, and discomfort due to high temperatures.
The protest brought together residents from neighborhoods including Misión de las Flores, Almazara, Xcacel, and Las Palmas 1, who reported that they had been without power since midnight with no clear information on when service would be restored.
The demonstrators initially sought dialogue with CFE staff but warned they could escalate their actions by blocking key intersections if no response was forthcoming.
National Guard officers arrived at the scene to secure the CFE facilities, while company representatives agreed to speak with some residents. The office doors were closed during the meeting, leaving the rest of the protesters outside.
Residents reported economic damage and disruptions from the power failures. They said blackouts have become a regular occurrence each hot season, affecting daily life, food preservation, appliance function, and business operations.
Toni León, a resident of Misión de las Flores, said she understands the city’s urban growth but believes the electrical infrastructure has been overwhelmed by housing expansion.
“Our things, which we bought with effort, are ruined. The CFE won’t pay for them; they only demand their payments, and if you don’t pay, they cut your service,” she said.
León said she has lived in the area for 15 years and that power supply problems recur every summer without a permanent solution.
Administrators from the Almazara condominium also participated, saying they represent more than 500 affected property owners. They warned they might block the intersection of Lilis and CTM avenues if the issue is not addressed immediately.
One representative noted that the lack of electricity particularly impacts sick people, the elderly, and families with babies due to the high temperatures currently in the city.
“There are mothers with babies, people who are sick, and it affects them a lot because they depend on air conditioning. It’s also a security issue because without light, there’s a risk of vandalism since surveillance cameras don’t work,” she said.
Another protester, Bore Cauich, a resident of Las Palmas 1, accused the CFE of only responding when residents protest or block streets.
“This situation is becoming a mockery. Yesterday, neighbors from Xcacel blocked streets and had power in less than an hour. They protested, and good for them, but then they cut our power in Palmas 1,” he complained.
The CFE announced that a new electrical substation will begin operation this year. Cauich recalled that about three years ago, an agreement was reached with the then-CFE superintendent to divide the power lines supplying areas like Misión de las Flores, Las Palmas, and InHouse, which temporarily helped reduce outages.
However, he explained that the growth of new housing developments, including Almazara, has again saturated the electrical grid in that part of Playa del Carmen.
After about an hour of dialogue, the CFE superintendent emerged with neighborhood representatives to report that the current blackout could be resolved within six to seven hours, due to cable replacement and reconfiguration of power lines.
The official acknowledged that the infrastructure is under pressure from new real estate developments and admitted there is no full guarantee against service interruptions.
He said a new electrical substation would begin operation this year, which he said would improve supply capacity and reduce failures in various parts of the city.
Discover more from Riviera Maya News & Events
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
