Drunk Brawl Triggers Code Red Alert in Cancun

Police officers and Red Cross ambulance responding to a brawl in Cancun's Nuevo Milenio neighborhood

Cancun, Quintana Roo — A fight between intoxicated men triggered a major emergency response in Cancun’s Nuevo Milenio neighborhood Saturday night after residents mistook the brawl for a shooting.

Witnesses called 911 reporting gunshots and multiple injured people, prompting police units and Red Cross ambulances to rush to the scene on Jose Lopez Portillo Avenue.

When officers and paramedics arrived, they found two men with injuries from a physical fight. Authorities confirmed no firearms were involved and no shots were fired.

According to preliminary reports, the two men had been drinking alcohol when an argument escalated into a violent confrontation. Witnesses said the men used rocks, sticks, and punches during the fight. The noise from the altercation led nearby residents to believe gunshots had been fired.

Paramedics treated the injured men at the scene and later transported them to Cancun General Hospital for further evaluation. Officials said neither man had life-threatening injuries.

Police remained in the area for several minutes conducting interviews and gathering information as calm was restored among residents.

The Quintana Roo State Prosecutor’s Office (FGEQROO) will take over the case to determine legal responsibilities for those involved.


Discover more from Riviera Maya News & Events

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

By Javier Mendez

Javier Mendez covers public safety, law enforcement, and legal affairs in Quintana Roo. He monitors official reports from the FGE (State Prosecutor's Office), the Mexican Navy, and municipal police to deliver accurate English summaries of crime, trafficking cases, arrests, and court rulings affecting the Riviera Maya region.

Discover more from Riviera Maya News & Events

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading