Cozumel, Quintana Roo — A 22-year-old man who was shot during an attack in Cozumel died Friday morning, hours after a minor was killed in the same shooting, according to unofficial reports.
The man, identified as Yadriel N., had been in serious condition after being struck by three bullets during the attack Thursday night in the Emiliano Zapata neighborhood. He died at a hospital despite medical efforts to save him, after more than eight hours fighting for his life.
The first victim, a minor identified as Luis N., died at the scene.
Unofficial sources said Yadriel N. had previously been arrested on drug-dealing charges but was released from prison in Cozumel months later.
The State Prosecutor’s Office has opened an investigation to determine the motive for the attack. The Municipal Public Security Department is reviewing security camera footage from across the island to identify those responsible.
Witnesses said the two victims were standing outside a home around 10 p.m. when gunmen riding a motorcycle opened fire on them.
More Crime
- Quintana Roo violence surges as 2027 election nears
- Yucatán Credit Card Complaints Surge 47% as Financial Disputes Rise 11%
- 5-Year-Old Boy Dies in Rollover Crash on Tizimín-Río Lagartos Highway
- Police Arrest Four Men in Bacalar Drug Bust, Seize Narcotics, Weapons and Tactical Gear
- Man Sentenced to 37 Years in Prison for Rape of Teenage Girl in Cancun
More Cozumel
- Mexico Opens Public Consultation on Two Quintana Roo Beachfront Projects
- Monarch Butterflies Now Breeding in Quintana Roo
- Threats Against Two Cozumel Traffic Agents Under Investigation
- Cozumel-Playa del Carmen Ferry Route Sets Record Passenger Numbers in July
- Cozumel Receives 70% of Cruise Passenger Tax Revenue, Mayor Says

