Chetumal, Quintana Roo — Governor Mara Lezama confirmed that a larger sargassum collection vessel capable of intercepting the macroalgae in deep waters is expected to arrive in Quintana Roo within three weeks. She also announced she will meet again with President Claudia Sheinbaum on Friday to secure additional federal resources to address the seaweed influx along the coastline.
Lezama said she recently toured beaches in Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres, describing them as “divine, spectacular” because sargassum is not affecting all beaches every day.
The governor recalled that last week she presented a project developed with support from the Mexican Navy to the president. After a series of adjustments, they will present it again. “We have nearly 400 million pesos, and this year it will be 200 million. The goal is to tackle sargassum in deep waters with a larger vessel and tugboats,” she said.
Lezama added that authorities are monitoring the sargassum monitoring center to track the volume of seaweed approaching the Quintana Roo coastline and to reinforce beach cleaning efforts.
More Environment
- Yucatán Fisheries Agency Urges Fishermen to Stop Diving for Octopus
- Environmentalists Warn of Sick Dolphins in Quintana Roo
- Cancun Hoteliers Rule Out Funding Open-Sea Sargassum Cleanup
- Cozumel Birdwatching Event Highlights Avian Diversity
- Playa del Carmen Robotics Club Advances to National Competition With Eco-Friendly Robots
More Quintana Roo
- PAN Quintana Roo Denies Being ‘Sold’ to Ruling Party, Prepares for 2027
- Quintana Roo Tourism Crisis: ‘The Ship Is Sinking,’ Warns Eugenio Barbachano
- Mayan Ruins Visits Plunge as Quintana Roo Tourism Slump Deepens
- Parents Association Reiterates School Fees Are Voluntary Amid Enrollment Complaints
- Municipalities to Take Lead Role in Regulating Vacation Rentals in Quintana Roo

