Cancun, Quintana Roo — Authorities have located and taken into custody the mother of a newborn who was abandoned in a trash container earlier this week in the Paraiso Maya residential complex, officials said Friday.
Officers from the Specialized Group for Attention to Family and Gender Violence (Geavig), working with state investigative police, found the woman and transported her to a general hospital, where she is receiving medical and psychological care. Officials confirmed that she has had initial contact with the baby, who remains under medical observation.
According to unofficial reports, the abandonment may have occurred after the young woman was a victim of abuse. Under that version of events, she gave birth and then left the newborn in the trash container. The State Prosecutor’s Office is investigating the case.
Using video surveillance cameras and tracking of private devices, authorities obtained images of the exact moment the baby was abandoned. With support from the C5 security center, they located the woman’s home and took her into custody early Friday morning.
Officials said the woman is receiving comprehensive support, including medical and psychological care. In the intermediate care unit, contact between mother and child was allowed, and both reportedly responded favorably during the interaction.
The woman remains in custody of state investigative police, who will determine her legal status and turn her over to the Public Ministry to assess possible charges related to child abandonment.
Discover more from Riviera Maya News & Events
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
