Mayor of Lázaro Cárdenas Fires Fire Chief Over Unpaid Stipends

Fire station in Kantunilkin, Quintana Roo, where officials delivered a dismissal notice to fire chief Jose Gaspar Cauich Iuit.

Kantunilkín, Quintana Roo — Municipal officials escorted by police arrived at the fire station here to notify José Gaspar Cauich Iuit that he had been removed as fire chief for the municipality of Lázaro Cárdenas, days after he publicly denounced the nonpayment of travel stipends for firefighters assigned to nearby Holbox island.

The dismissal letter, dated August 14, cites “loss of confidence” as the reason.

His replacement, Marvin Azael Cordero Maglah, was part of the officials’ delegation and immediately assumed command.

Cauich Iuit had published a video alleging that Irving Núñez Alcocer, the municipality’s civil protection director, delayed payment of 30,200 pesos in travel allowances, leaving firefighters in Holbox without funds. He also said he operated without subordination to Núñez’s office because of previous disagreements.

Mayor Nivardo Mena Villanueva then removed him from the post.

The group that delivered the notice included Merwin Coral Santana, general secretary of the city council; Maritza Cauich Rodríguez, municipal administrator; Lilia Suárez May, legal counsel; Violeta Alcocer Dzib, human resources director; and Adolfo Kumul Pat, head of the internal control office. Municipal police officers accompanied them in a patrol vehicle.

Coral Santana said the change begins a handover process in which the department’s assets, resources and any potential irregularities will be reviewed for up to 40 days. He acknowledged that a check related to the stipends had been “recovered” and sent to the administrator’s office for payment, but he did not say who had been holding it.

The controversy adds to anonymous complaints from civil protection personnel accusing Núñez of mistreatment and abuse. He has kept his position despite those allegations, with the mayor’s backing.

Discover more from Riviera Maya News

Sign up to receive a summary of the best news in your inbox, every day.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

By Ana Reyes

Ana Reyes covers environmental policy, conservation initiatives, infrastructure projects, and political developments across the Yucatán Peninsula for Riviera Maya News & Events. She reports on issues from sargassum management and reef conservation to the Maya Train, coastal development, and state and federal policy affecting Quintana Roo and the broader peninsula.Ana has covered environmental and political news since 2023, tracking key developments in Mexico's environmental regulations, coral reef protection, coastal zone management, and the intersection of tourism development with conservation efforts. Her reporting spans from Cancun's hotel zone to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve and the culturally significant regions of the Yucatán interior.Ana is fluent in English and Spanish, and draws from a wide range of sources including government environmental agencies, conservation organizations, academic researchers, and local community leaders to provide balanced, well-sourced coverage. She is particularly focused on how environmental policy decisions affect the daily lives of residents and the long-term sustainability of the region.For story tips: ana@rivieramayanews.mx