INM Denies Investigation Into Former Quintana Roo Delegate, Cites Staff Rotation

Carlos Manuel Bandala Gonzalez, former INM delegate in Quintana Roo

Cancún, Quintana Roo — Mexico’s National Migration Institute (INM) confirmed Wednesday that Admiral Carlos Manuel Bandala González has left his post as head of its representation office in Quintana Roo, rejecting reports that his departure was linked to an investigation into alleged misconduct.

In a statement, the agency said Bandala’s exit was part of the “ordinary staff rotation protocols and procedures” carried out at its offices nationwide. It added that his tenure at the institute “shows no indication whatsoever” of improper conduct and that he has not been subject to any investigation.

The clarification came after unofficial reports suggested Bandala had been dismissed amid a roughly two-year ministerial investigation into alleged human trafficking and the irregular issuance of immigration documents to foreign nationals. The reports said the investigation identified 935 cases of irregular documents delivered to Cuban and Venezuelan citizens, with payments reportedly ranging from 10,000 to 15,000 pesos and, in some instances, reaching $5,000. They also alleged the possible involvement of underage women in acts that could be related to human trafficking.

The INM did not confirm those reports and reiterated that Bandala had not been under investigation. The agency thanked him for his years of service and wished him success in his future professional and personal projects.

Mauricio Alejandro Patiño has assumed the role of head of the INM’s representation office in Quintana Roo, based in Cancún.

Discover more from Riviera Maya News

Sign up to receive a summary of the best news in your inbox, every day.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

By Ana Reyes

Ana Reyes covers environmental policy, conservation initiatives, infrastructure projects, and political developments across the Yucatán Peninsula for Riviera Maya News & Events. She reports on issues from sargassum management and reef conservation to the Maya Train, coastal development, and state and federal policy affecting Quintana Roo and the broader peninsula.Ana has covered environmental and political news since 2023, tracking key developments in Mexico's environmental regulations, coral reef protection, coastal zone management, and the intersection of tourism development with conservation efforts. Her reporting spans from Cancun's hotel zone to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve and the culturally significant regions of the Yucatán interior.Ana is fluent in English and Spanish, and draws from a wide range of sources including government environmental agencies, conservation organizations, academic researchers, and local community leaders to provide balanced, well-sourced coverage. She is particularly focused on how environmental policy decisions affect the daily lives of residents and the long-term sustainability of the region.For story tips: ana@rivieramayanews.mx