A drone shot overlooking a densely populated coastal town with small houses and a blue ocean in the distance under a cloudy sky.

“25-Year Battle Over Colosio Property Scandal Unveiled!”

For over two and a half decades, the regularization of nearly 5,000 lots has remained unresolved due to alleged fraudulent activities. The arrest of a partner and manager from the Riviera Maya Developer, S. A. de C. V. (Derimaya), on charges of fraud exceeding 250 million pesos, marks a significant milestone for thousands of families in Solidaridad. Despite this, they continue to wait for the regularization of their properties.

Local representative, Luz María Beristain, explained that the fight for regularization of approximately 5,000 properties in Playa del Carmen has been ongoing for over 25 years. The process was initially spearheaded by Inviqroo, a state government entity, leading to the creation of Derimaya. At that time, the state government, represented by Joaquín Hendricks Díaz, held 51% of the shares, while the remaining 49% was owned by the Rangel Castelazo family (Francisco Rangel Castelazo and his wife Ofelia González Witt).

The root of the issue lies in the Rangel Castelazo family's alleged deception of former governor Hendricks, leading him to believe they held legitimate property titles, which were later revealed to be fraudulent. "I would like to think that they tricked him and he didn't realize it," said Beristain. Read more…

RELATED ARTICLES  Discover the Beauty of Isla Mujeres Beaches in Mexico!