A woman outside showing a message on her phone while wearing a white T-shirt with a photo and name printed on it.

Justice-seeking Mothers March in Cancún for Missing 16-Year-Old Juan

Members of the Quintana Roo-based group, Mothers Searching, held a peaceful protest march in Cancún. They began at the State Attorney General's Office and proceeded to the Plaza de la Reforma. Their goal was to demand justice for Juan Manuel Chegue Mora, a 16-year-old boy who disappeared just over a year ago.

The group expressed frustration at the lack of progress in the investigation into Juan's disappearance. They criticized the authorities for their apparent lack of effort in finding Juan, suggesting that the investigation has been insufficient. Throughout the march, they chanted slogans against the justice authorities, accusing them of only pretending to investigate the case.

The demonstration saw participation from at least 15 people, all of whom are relatives of missing individuals. They vowed to continue their protests until every missing family member is returned. The next demonstration is scheduled for May 10th.

The collective members asserted that their fight will continue until every missing person is reunited with their loved ones. They plan to hold more demonstrations to ensure that no investigation files are forgotten or overlooked.

Juan Manuel Chegue Mora disappeared on May 2nd, 2023. He was last seen leaving his home in the Cielo Nuevo subdivision. His mother, Juana Isela Mora Hernández, reported his disappearance to the authorities. In her report, she noted that her son has a personality disorder that makes socializing difficult for him, and urged the authorities to focus their search in the vicinity of their subdivision.

RELATED ARTICLES  Get Your Mexican Passport Easily at Tulum Airport - Hassle-Free Process!

Despite the passing of a year, the only significant lead the authorities have is a purported video of Juan entering the forensic cemetery in Supermanzana 106. However, Mora Hernández has publicly stated that the then-Attorney General Óscar Montes de Oca Rosales denied her access to the video.

Before the march, Mora Hernández expressed her belief that something terrible had happened to her son. She described him as a boy who had completed secondary school and knew how to find his way home. She blamed the authorities' inadequate efforts for the loss of all leads in her son's case.